Sparkies see dollar signs in the smoke signals
Last week the Victorian coroner delivered her findings into two deaths from smoke inhalation in an East Geelong fire on 13th September 2018. Her Honour found that the deaths could have been prevented if the houses smoke alarms were hardwired as opposed to battery powered.
The finding has implications for both landlords and the construction industry should the recommendations be converted into legislation. Planning would be required to accommodate the new rules and electricians can look forward to a boom in ‘smalls’ to retrofit existing properties to comply.