PLANNING AMENDMENTS FOR IMPROVED BUILDING SUSTAINABILITY IN VICTORIA
Twenty-four Victorian local governments have lodged a planning scheme amendment with the State Government, to further sustainability requirements for new building development to encourage net zero carbon emissions.
The councils have also written to the new Federal Minister for Planning, asking for support to reflect the urgency needed to tackle climate change.
Under the proposed changes, new developments would include:
- Produce net zero carbon emissions
- Reduce household bills by making buildings more energy efficient
- Provide a healthier and more comfortable environment for building occupants
- Better manage water quality, use and collection
- Protect and enhance greening and biodiversity
- Be more resilient to changing climate impacts
The 24 councils across Victoria that have collaborated on the amendment are members of the Council Alliance for a Sustainable Built Environment (CASBE) and supported by the Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV).
The councils represent approximately half the Victorian population and planning activity.