$46m for safety strips on NSW roads
New South Wales will install rumble strips across regional highways in the state to reduce impact of driver fatigue and make roads safer.
Work will begin by the end of June 2022 on 2,700km of rumble strips – equal to driving from Sydney to Adelaide and return or Adelaide to Perth across the Nullabor Plain.
Rumble strips are estimated to reduce fatalities and injuries by 15 to 25 per cent – particularly involving fatigue or distraction.
Roads impacted are:
- Golden Highway – Singleton to Dubbo
- Gwydir Highway – Grafton to Moree
- Cobb Highway – Hay to Moama
- Castlereagh Highway – Lithgow to Dunedoo
- Oxley Highway – Wauchope to Coonabarabran
- Kamilaroi Highway – Quirindi to Bourke